Positive changes in sick leave benefits in Hungary, starting 15 July 2013
1. Sick benefit base:
Previous regulation: During sick benefit calculation, the income from the previous employer, starting January 1st of previous year, must have been accepted, even if there were more employment changes.
New regulation: Only the income from the existing employer must be taken under consideration
- Simpler calculation. Even the employees themselves can calculate what they receive during sick leave
- Shorter administration period
- The employer doesn’t need to fill special statements about regular and irregular incomes
- The employees don’t need to keep them for years.
2. Sick benefit due to children’s sickness:
Previous regulation: Parents could take advantage of this only if the child was under 12 years of age, and only in case of home care.
New Regulation: If a child is at hospital, parents can get also child-based sick benefit. Parents can also receive fairness sick benefit for their sick child, even he/she is above 12 years of age (until 18 years).
3. Maternity benefits:
If the maternity benefit became less due to new calculation, it has to be recalculated according to the old regulation for the mothers who will give birth before 11 May 2014.